Pre 1900 History
The earliest evidence found of the Alloa Academy Annexe is in a painting circa 1840. The painting is owned by Clackmannashire Council and more details on the artist and the picture can be found by cantacting the Culture department at the Council.
Near the end of the 19th Century the site development had the addition of the Neo Classical and recognisable building at the roundabout and originally part of the Infant School complex. This building is a well-detailed single storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan, neo-classical as the former school building with dignified gabled elevation to street, prominently sited on raised ground at busy roundabout. Built as additional hall space for the now demolished Alloa Academy and subsequently incorporated into the former Ludgate Infant School, this is a well-detailed building, distinguished by its exterior stonework.
The high quality, well-detailed stonework of this former public building makes an important contribution and is a positive element in a much altered streetscape setting. It is attributed to Adam Frame owing to stylistic similarities with a large extension he was working on at Alloa Academy during the 1870s. Adam Frame also designed the Burgh Chambers 1873, and Museum 1873/4. This attribution disagrees with the information given by Gifford and Walker who name the architectural practice of Kerr & McCulloch, and given a date of circa 1910.
However, as the building appears on the 1898-1900 Ordnance Survey map the Adam Frame connection seems more likely. The other former Ludgate Infant School buildings situated toward the SW date from 1839 and the 1870s, with internal alterations carried out circa 1905 by George Kerr. These alterations included the installation of a domestic science suite with decorative tiling and battered architraves.